Thursday, June 2, 2011

Top !0 Pink Floyd Songs

I'm in a musical mood today, so I picked one of my favorite bands, Pink Floyd, and wrote out all of my favorite songs. It's difficult to put them in an exact rate of favorites, since my mood changes all the time, but I'll see if I can get them into a generally good order. Perhaps you'll find some hidden gems!

1. Comfortably Numb - There's a cause this one tops so many lists of Floyd songs.

It's lovely, but also mixes the slightly crazy vocalizing of Roger Waters withthe beautiful counterpoint of David Gilmour, and finishes off with one of the more gorgeous guitar solos ever done.

2. Time - Has my all-time favorite guitar solo, which zooms in with such force and then soars. I taught myself to run it, but still so I cannot get anywhere near to the spirit and masterful touch Gilmour uses.

cover_54531715102008 Top 20 Pink Floyd Songs

3. Dogs - It's so sad that this song almost never gets any airtime. Radio stations consider it way too long, at about 15 minutes, but this is easily one of the most wonderful of Floyd's songs. Gilmour's slightly sad vocals and terrific guitar build up slowly but surely, and so later a slightly overlong interlude with dogs barking, Waters finishes off the call with a scorching menace.

4. Goodbye Blue Sky - Most fans wouldn't let this one so high, but I simply know it. It's likely the call I turn most on my guitar, and what a lovely guitar piece it is.

5. Run Like Hell - Gilmour says this is their attack at a disco song. Whatever. It is surely an off-beat, rocking song, and the echoing guitars and dueling, frantic vocals between Gilmour and Waters make this a memorable tune.

6. Wish You Were Here - I incline to know the prettier of Floyd's songs the most, and this one certainly qualifies. It is too light to run on guitar, so I enjoy sitting backwards and relaxing while playing it. Heck, even with my poor voice I can do to sing along with this one.
pink-floyd_ Top 20 Pink Floyd Songs

7. Shine On You Crazy Diamond - Like the former song, this one is a testimonial to the lost father of Pink Floyd Syd Barrett. It takes some getting used to, since it builds up so easy and with such a long guitar solo before finally getting to the vocals, but this song amazes me. I am a guitar guy, so the long solo thrills me, and I taught myself to run it many days ago. I prefer the live version from Delicate Sound of Thunder to the studio version.

8. Brain Damage - Beautiful guitar. "The madman is on the grass." How many pretty songs about insanity are there?

9. Money - You get to know the bass line. Gilmour is incredible, and can bring a few simple notes and work them soar to amazing heights.
david1_1 Top 20 Pink Floyd Songs

10. Hey You - Another song that I like performing on my guitar, though I do it the laborious way since I don't wish to re-tune it (this song uses a non-standard tuning).

11. One of These Days - Nearly all instrumental, this has a throbbing bass line and spectacular pedal steel guitar, especially in my favorite version from Delicate Sound of Thunder.

12. Empty Spaces/Young Lust - I always choose to hear to these together as one song.

13. The Happiest Days of Our Lives/Another Brick in the Wall part II - Like the former song, I believe these two to be one song.

14. Have a Cigar - A showy rocker with amazing guitar that I scarcely like I was well enough to do. It's not that it's difficult to work it, but that it won't sound decent unless you can recreate the tone, and I can't.

15. Pigs on the Wing - It's tiny, but it's so pretty. I should probably just include all three pig songs from Animals here, and have in Sheep as well.

16. The Nile Song - One no one ever plays, but I enjoy it. It rocks.

17. Ibiza Bar - Another reading of the Nile Song basically, using the same music with different vocals.

18. Echoes - Another song you never hear, because it's more than 20 minutes long. It actually has some amazing guitar in it, though.

19. Set the Controls for the Affection of the Sun - The interpretation I know is interpreted from the film Live in Pompeii, as it's often better than the album version.

20. Astronomy Domine - The last version from Pulse. By the way, I saw that concert live in London in 1994.

No comments:

Post a Comment