Thursday, December 2, 2010

This is the case of Fu Manchu (it makes no smell at all)

I never got lyrics. When I was a teenager, my reason of English was generally better than my peers, just because I spent so much time in the UK. No, scrap that. I only picked it up because my brain thought I was English - crossed synapses or something. Anyway - if I listened to the lyrics, I knew what they meant. I simply couldn't see them or remember them.

My friends would sing entire songs they'd heard once or twice on the radio, faultlessly, with the correct accent, intonations. I went through a phase, like most teenagers, of feeling pretentious about Pink Floyd lyrics. Now I can't hear to them too close or I cringe. Sometimes I write down the lyrics of a song I like, but to this day I can't recall the lyrics of my favorite songs. It's not care I think it doesn't matter: some lyrics are beautiful and add to the song. Some are crap and carry off from it. One of my favourite tunes at the second is Cee-Lo Green's 'Fuck You'. Not 'Leave You' cause that doesn't even fit. Since when does Pop music get bawdlerised? But the strain is around a boy whose girlfriend left him for somebody else and he's accusing her of being a gold-digger, of prefering the other guy because he's got more money. And he's 'like, Fuck you, and know her too', and we're, like, going on with it, cause the air is so damn catchy, and the stick so arse-twitching. But the lyrics do pain me, a little, and they think that my use of the song isn't as perfect as it would otherwise be. Nothing a beer or two wouldn't fix - my principles tend to be soluble in small doses of alcohol- but you see what I mean. Then there's the call of the like name by Lily Allen - the form of lyrics you need to shout along with, and the air is just too. But the music just isn't up thither with Cee Lo's. It's a nice tune, no more. So I say, forget the lyrics, and return to language that don't make sense and that you can forget. That's what the Beatles were to me for years, and I'm happy to see, now that I am conversant with them in their written form, that they don't really have any sense most of the time. This is great. Just what I need. But let's face it, the chief of the nonsensical, non commital lyrics has to be Desmond Dekker with his Israelites and, my favourite, the Case of Fu Manchu. As he says with (so little! eloquence: it makes no sense at all! This was my entry for Josie's Writing Workshop. The move was 'Get Lyrical'.

No comments:

Post a Comment