Monday, December 20, 2010

Across The Kitchen Table: Unlike John Lydon I Love Pink Floyd

pink_floyd-1033 Across The Kitchen Table: Unlike John Lydon I Love Pink Floyd
I've ever loved Pink Floyd and I don't think the hip Pink Floyd of the Syd Barrett days which is satisfactory to name drop without being laughed out the pub. That material is okay, well most of it but if you ask me the man could get done without Bike or Gnome; the material I know is the over blown pomposity of Dark Side of The Moon, The Fence and The Final Cut.

I give no apologies for this and neither do I see it in the slightest bit embarrassing. it was not unknown for me in my teen years to be clean a Pink Floyd t-shirt much to the offense of about of my either trendier or cooler friends Ever since Christmas 1979 when I got The Wall on double vinyl as a gift from Aunt Betty I was sold on all of the bunk that Roger Waters wrote and from that moment I started delving into the back catalogue which was easier then you would think. Everybody over the age of twenty seemed to make a transcript of Dark Slope Of The Moon , Wish You Were Here or Animals. It just got difficult the farther back I looked. It took me until about 16 to get control of Obscured By Clouds and I was in my twenties before I got given a pristine copy of Meddle from a friend. I'm not certain what it is that I see in Pink Floyd, as this form of rock music usually has me retching into a bucket after almost 5 minutes or so but like them I do. I don't believe that a month goes by without me playing something by them. As for post Waters Floyd? Absolute pish, does nothing for me at all, bought a pair of the albums A Momentary Lapse Of Intellect and The Division Bell but neither floats my boat. Roger Waters solo output I feel myself getting lost in and if i put an album on, then it's played in it's entirety. I recognize that these "concept" albums provoke ridicule from hipsters but I truly do love them. One of the best gigs that I give every seen was when a mate's dad took me and him to see The Pro's And Con's Of Hitchhiking live at the NEC in 1984. Here are a pair of my favourite Floyd tracks. Pink Floyd - Set The Controls For The Sum Of The Sun Pink Floyd - Nobody Home

No comments:

Post a Comment