Wednesday, December 8, 2010

"Pink Floyd's influence on my life" - Common Application Essay

As you can probably tell by the length, my attempt is not yet complete. Can I get some feedback on the subject and idea? Thanks!Describe a role in fiction, a historic figure, or a creative work (as in art, music, science, etc. that has had an influence on you, and explain that influence. One song off Pink Floyd's 1973 concept album "Dark Face of the Moonlight" had a particularly powerful impact on my psyche.

That call was "Time":Ticking off the moments that form up a dull dayYou fritter and consume the hours in an offhand wayKicking around on a bit of land in your home townWaiting for someone or something to present you the wayTired of lying in the sunshineStaying home to determine the rainAnd you are new and spirit is longAnd there is time to kill todayAnd then one day you findTen years have got behind youNo one told you when to runYou missed the starting gunI must be proactive if I am to follow in life. Nothing good comes out of sorrow for the past; pensively "frittering" and "wasting the hours" through regretting my mistakes serves no purpose. Don't "stay home to see the rainfall" and "lie in the sunshine", trying to avert your problems. The past cannot be undone. Brooding is not going to make me anywhere; nothing is leaving to "read me the way". I am "young" and "spirit is long"; the route ahead is still wide and open. A few mistakes in the past do not have a substantial affect on my future. However, if I keep wailing and "kicking around on a part of ground", I leave one day see that "ten days have got behind me"; I will have "missed the starting gun" because "no one told me when to run". There is "time to kill today"; I should induce the near of what I give now rather than looking backward in retrospect on all the things I did wrong. This song has resonated so deep in me as it came at a sentence when I was demoralised and lost with regret. It has generated an extreme drive in me, and has prepared me for the spirit that I will lead in college and beyond; a living where a second cannot be wasted; a living where emotional resilience is crucial. This song has helped me get a more rich and mature member of my school community by motivating me and warning me of the ramifications of procrastination; as a result, I was determined to try new things such as joining the student government. This song has helped me to get my way of thinking and maturity so that I am not merely more well-versed to give to a college environment and the wider community, but also capable to relief into tight-knit, intellectual communities such as those at universities. I have taken on living with a renewed vigor. Throw any chance at me, and I will catch it by the horns.

No comments:

Post a Comment