Sunday, February 13, 2011

Why I Am Catholic: The !011 Grammy's and More (Music for Mondays)

grammy Why I Am Catholic: The 2011 Grammy's and More (Music for Mondays)
-Feast of St. Valentine
So the Grammy's were on last night. Just when I thought my wife was passing to draw me to see a new PBS series, instead she made me see the Grammy Awards. It wasn't all bad either. Lots of musically talented children of God were there. For instance, two of the selections from the MfM post last week won awards.

he Black Keys won "Best Alternative Album," and Arcade Firewon the "Album of the Year." So you see, I wasn't completely in the night after all! I can't share all the winners with you here, but I'll have you a preference of about of them. And a few others that are just enjoyable to mind to.Lady Antebellum, Need You Now. The success of the Grammy for "Song of the Year" and "Book of the Year." Over the preceding year, this group has rocketed to stardom in the country segment. They thanked God in presence of the solid world, so kudos for that! They too have broader appeal, or they wouldn't have won in this category. If you lost them last night, catch them here.Arcade Fire, Sprawl II. This band won "Album of the Year" for The Suburbs Truthfully, the call they played on the record was strong on the eyes, what with stobe lights a flashin' and BMX bikes running roughshod all over the stage. This call is markedly better as a case for this groups talents. Have a look,Neil Young, Angry World. The success of the Grammy for "Best Rock Song." Remember my Neil Young music post? There I reported that Neil had never won a Grammy before and I was left scratching my head. No more, because Neil finally won(! for this song last night. From his new album Le Noise, we get just Neil, his trusty Les Paul, and lyrics like these,Some see spirit as hope eternal Some see spirit as a business plan Some will go to hell's inferno For screwing up their living in freedom landBarbara Streisand, Evergreen. Not this years winner, but Barbara sang this game in 1976 and pulled down a Triple Crown: the Oscar for Best Song, the Grammy for Song of the Year, and the Golden Globe to boot. It's a capital call for Valentines Day!Boz Scaggs, Lowdown.I think this one from the radio. Boz won a Grammy in 1977 for this song, noted as "the first blue-eyed soul man to find one for the R&B category."Have a mind and you'll see why.Whitney Houston, I Will Always Love You. Remember this one? Written (and sung originally) by Dolly Parton, Whitney won a Grammy for "Album of the Year" in 1994 mainly because of this call from the soundtrack of the film The Bodyguard. She co-starred with Kevin Costner as a threatened diva. A capital song by Dolly and sung beautifully by Whitney. Just in time for Valentines Day too! Pete Townsend, Give Blood. This call is from one of Pete's solo album's. It didn't win a Grammy but I wish it anyway. Great lyrics, and a great Grammy-like performance. Special guest David Gilmore of Pink Floyd on lead guitar. Awesome! Happy Valentines Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment