Sunday, February 13, 2011

Naomi Watts Talks About Hollywood Power Player

Naomi Watts struggled for days before acquiring a big part in Hollywood.What changed everything for the 41-year-old Oscar-nominated actress was David Lynch casting her in his TV series `Mulholland Drive` in 2001.In an exclusive Interview with the Daily Mail, the British-born Australian actress reveals how she became a Hollywood power player.She said she was not sure whether `Mulholland Drive` would bring even during its shooting.

Mulholland Drive` is a surreal Take on the pressures on young actresses in Hollywood. Naomi played Betty Elms, a naive young hopeful corrupted by the bait of Fame."It was so stylised that I felt like I was doing the worst performance ever to hit the Screen," she recalled.However, `Mulholland Drive` premiered at the 2001 Cannes Film Festival to rave reviews, and Naomi`s life changed overnight."I suddenly had a career. I went from being an actor for lease to an actor that directors Wanted to cast. I`ll be eternally grateful to David for the opportunity he gave me," she said.Her number has been on the Speed-dial button of the best directors in Hollywood ever since.Naomi`s father Peter Watts (a sound engineer for Pink Floyd) separated from her mother Myfanwy, a Welsh-born antiques dealer and amateur actress, when she was 4 and her brother Ben was five.When she was 14, Myfanwy took her Children to begin a new spirit in Australia, settling in Sydney."It took time to look like I fitted in. We`d travelled around a lot in the UK - at one place we lived with my grandparents in Wales - but this was a whole new Culture," said Naomi.It was signing Up for acting classes that helped, she said.After a brief spell modelling, she began to pluck Up TV roles, in the miniseries `Brides of Jesus` and a few episodes of `Interior and Away`.At 21, she landed a character in the coming-of-age Drama `Flirting`, alongside two other young actresses destined to become stars - Nicole Kidman (whom Naomi had known since they were both teenagers) and Thandie Newton."We all got along very well. Nic has been one of my nearest Friends - and biggest supporters - ever since. She`s fantastic," said Naomi.While Kidman`s career soared, Naomi at first struggled when she followed her to the US and thither were times when she thinking about giving Up on the Dream.These days, though, Naomi`s number-one role is Motherhood.She has been with her Partner - actor and director Liev Schreiber - since 2005, and has two sons, Alexander, 3, and Samuel, who is just a few months old."When I work I`M completely committed. But when I`M not on a set, I`M dead the full-time mum. I know it`s a job that working women the globe over Face, and many don`t let the large bear that I Do, so I`M not complaining. But priorities change, because Children change everything," she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment