Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Pink Floyd Music Info: Pink Floyd Music Info: Italia

So finally my Italian adventure is at an end. I believe I've seen a fair bit of the country: Rome, Pompei, Amalfi Coast, Perugia, Pisa, Florence, Ravenna and, of course, Venice. I've passed through many other places but those are the principal places I explored to some degree.
I'm not certain yet what I conceive of Italy as a whole - the unanimous experience will give some time to have I think.

The overpowering impression I possess is one of shabbiness. But then, Italy has been round for a really long time so I suppose it's a bit unrealistic to make it to be pristine. However, looking beyond the coat is so much more rewarding. The history, culture, art. the art!. it simply goes on. I believe the just thing I haven't seen that I truly would have liked to is da Vinci's Last Supper. It's in a convent in Milan (I believe it's Milan) and you take to file for your 15 minute viewing at least 6 months in advance. Needless to say I'm not that organised. Nevermind, I've seen enough incredible things to save me satisfied.
Geographically, Italy is far more mountainous than I expected. Even now, at the end of March, many of the alpine areas are even covered in snow. Driving from here to there and so on to wherever has been an inherent role of the trip. There aren't many empty spaces and towns are really near together - though I suspect that's typical of everywhere other than Australia and North America. Driving through the mountains is nerve wracking at times but the views are spectacular. Times like that I wished someone else was driving and I could only look, and take photos.
From a history point of view I'd have to say that Rome was the highlight. The remains of the Forum, the Colosseum - I was only continually in awe at seeing these things I've rabbited on about for years and years. Coming out of the support that is the tube to be confronted by the Colosseum, right there in face of me: something I'll never forget.
Apart from the history, Rome is a point I could do without. It's noisy, crowded and not at all relaxed. The traffic is nightmarish and pedestrians really do get to get to attract their wits about them, 1000%. That's not to say that I didn't enjoy my time there, I did. There's only so often to see, you can't help but be enthralled.
The Vatican City, geographically in Rome but politically independent, has to be seen to be believed. St Peter's I just saw from the outside. I probably should get through the tour inside but it didn't happen. I lost the Pieta as a result. The Vatican museum is unbelievable. So much wealth and artworks from beginning to finish. Some of it was so over the top. Nonetheless, a marvellous collection. Of course, the foreground there is the Sistine Chapel. No language can adequately describe that ceiling. A true marvel.
Pompei was likely the shabbiest city I visited. But again, the story made it all good. The destroyed city is enthralling to weave through. Ancient Rome as it truly was. It was a really good impression to keep in the same lay as Pink Floyd too (the amphitheatre).
The Amalfi Coast is so picturesque - real postcard stuff. Driving it is a bit stressful but the views are wonderful.
Perugia has faded in my memory a bit. I reckon I liked being there and the old town center was keen to put through, but naught is standing out in my memory as "must see this" material. Mind you, I'm certain that when I look back over the photos I'll be jolted back there in a flash.
Pisa was possibly the disappointment of the adventure. The cathedral, baptistry and Leaning Tower were as promising as expected but the township itself didn't endear itself to me. Get there, see the tower, leave - that'd be my advice.
Florence. Florence has the art. Florence has David. The Ponte Vecchio, the Uffizi, the statues everywhere. I saw so many wonderful works of art in Venice - da Vinci, Michelangelo, Botticelli, etc. It's only a terrific plaza to roll and get and drag it all in. At the sentence I thought Florence was my favourite place to be. It has David after all.
Ravenna was a pleasant surprise. I stopped there but because it was convenient but I'm glad I did. The Byzantine mosaics in the churches there are a real treasure. They're rated as the best in Western Europe and it's light to see why. Magnificent detail and colours.
I originally engaged for 5 years in Venice but ended up staying for 9. Magic. It's the most expensive place I've been to but, jeez, it was worth it. No traffic, leisurely pace, the canals, the boats, the gondola, the architecture, the food, etc etc. I cried when I had to leave. Of all the places in Italy, in fact in Europe that I've seen to date, Venice is the jewel. I don't know what it is: the history's not as well as Rome's, the art is not as well as in Florence (or Paris for that matter). It's the air I think. It's only a lovely spot to wander, sit, catch a waterbus across the lagoon or on the Grand Canal and look. It's almost impossible to get anywhere in Venice in a rush and I guess that's what I loved the most.
The final two years have been mostly driving: Venice, down the Adriatic coast to Senigallia, near Ancona and so further refine the seacoast a bit more, then go right and head across the country to Rome. Using the motorway (autostrada) it takes roughly 2 hours to get from one face of Italy to the other - east-west, that is. Tonight I'm in Fiumicino, a match of miles from the airport.

Italy is expensive, particularly Venice, if you get to the tourist haunts. In St Mark's Square you can pay 10, or more, euros for a coffee (I paid 16 for a glaze of ordinary white wine!), yet not too far away, down a few streets, across a few canals, you can get the same coffee for 1 or 2 euro. And a whole bottle of wine for 12. It pays to search around. Many places will tear up to 5 euros (cover charge) just to let you sit down, even if you're just having a coffee.
Petrol is about 1.50 euro a litre - it's cost me about 200 to maintain the Society going and I guess that's a lot given I didn't get at all in Rome, Florence and Venice.
The hotels have all been pretty good but they much have hidden charges. In Rome I was charged 10 euro a night only to make the car parked there, in Florence it was 15 a night. The hotel on the Lido wanted to charge me 5 euro an hour for wifi access and that's just outrageous. In that regard, the Astoria in Pompei was, by far, the best hotel: cheap rates, free wifi, free parking, home cooked food, friendly people (even though they spoke not a mass of English), and within walking distance of the ruins. Can't go wrong.
Lido, by the way, is Italian for beach. So, Lido di Venezia is, in fact, Venice Beach.

I'm certain I get more to say but whatsoever it was has abandoned me now. I should go to bed anyway as I hold a 9.30 flight to see in the morning and a car to have before that.....

Later...

No comments:

Post a Comment