Monday, November 8, 2010

cutup: Windy brains

Windy brains I know it when I hold a call in my mind and I'm not certain who performed it. My head will look for the appropriate artist or set and try them on to see how they fit.For example, today I had the lyric, "Any way the wind blows, doesn't really matter." in my head.Now, I'm guessing you experience the artist, but for some reason my brain couldn't follow up with the answer right away. Is that from "The Lead in the Willows"?

(I think I thinking of this because of the wind reference, even though I don't know if I've even seen the movie) And so I went on a Disney tangent: Maybe Mary Poppins, who flew around on wind?But then I finished the lyric. ". to me." and the sound became more marked and Igot it.Another unnecessary example: I was in a shop and a Pink Floyd song was being covered by a reggae group. I was stressful to flesh out who wrote the original lyrics. My mind was thinking. Beatles? And I don't normally associate the Beatles and Pink Floyd, but lyrically, they both use very. what's the word. universal? Universal and simple lyrics without a lot of references to particular instances and tangibles.Ilost track of the point, never mind.I finished "Swann's Way" today, first volume in Proust. It actually is quite amazing. For all I know, "In Research of Lost Time" is the greatest novel ever written, and probably something I'll need to take again down the line. His authorship is a drug, and Absalom, Absalom may be the only other matter that comes rather as close. I simply don't need it to end. He's so slow about everything, but you read fifty pages and it just feels like you take five. This one had a slow start, but by the end I was set to go backwards and say it again. I can't even explain why I like it so much. It's not like Joyce or Faulkner or Woolf or any other "difficult" author. Proust isn't difficult at all. It's subtle though, and sometimes a one time or discussion will explain everything you've been reading for the last 100 pages. But don't let the 4200 pages scare you. it's very fast reading, the opposition of War and Peace, which I live I'll never touch again.Also been listening to The Invisible Gorilla, which is about illusions like this (I'm sure you've seen this):Perhaps the biggest illusion, a meta-illusion, is that our brains are reliable and not content to all these illusions. I'm always stunned when I see an album I haven't heard in a long sentence or reread a book. and things have changed! Lyrics have been altered and characters misquote themselves. I could swear I remembered it one way. but no, it's different.Go full screen, this is trippy.That's life, man, deal with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment